Re: Testing Discourse for Debian

Hello,

On Mon 13 Apr 2020 at 04:54AM +09, Charles Plessy wrote:

> Le Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 03:05:12PM -0700, Sean Whitton a écrit :
>>
>> For any technical topic (including DEPs) it is important that we can
>> find old discussions in the future, easily, and without there being too
>> many entrypoints into the search.
>
> Hi Sean,
>
> in my experience of DEP driver and Policy editor, long discussion
> archives, especially when they spread over multiple years, are a barrier
> to contribution.  Not only they are increadibly noisy (think for
> instance of discussion archives in the BTS mostly made of quotes of the
> instance when part of the discussion happens on IRC or at Debconf).
>
> In that sense, I would expect structured discussion systems such as
> Discourse to be a potential time saver, and therefore lower the barrier
> for contribution to everybody: those who contribute their point of view,
> and those who summarise them.

I agree that it could be useful to impose more structure on archived
discussions than we can do at present.  From other posts in the thread,
it sounds like it might be possible to do this using some sort of
Discourse API-to-mbox scraper, though this software does not exist yet.

Thinking about Policy in particular, it would seem that bugs divide into
(a) coming up with a proposal which has consensus; and (b) coming up
with Policy text.

(a) would more clearly benefit from having more structure.  It is less
clear that (b) would benefit, and (b) benefits from the posting of diffs
and replying using inline comments.

--
Sean Whitton