Re: distributed moderation of mailinglist

Felix Lechner <felix.lechner@lease-up.com> writes:

> Hi Geert,
>
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 1:56 AM Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Vision I have for a healthy ML is like  nice village
>> that is becoming a nice town. Citizens are aware it
>> is their own habitat and it is their interrest to keep
>> in a good shape.
>
> One person's vision often turns out to be another's horror.
>
>> Posting of subscriber with establish repuation
>> go through without a delay.
>
> A review process after someone's posting received complaints would be
> better. It should be public.

Are you upset by the fact that quite a lot of spam is currently being
silently blocked, automatically?  I suspect not.

I think this should be considered to be an additional measure that can
be added to the current armoury of anti-abuse measures that are already
in place.

The thing that distinguishes this one is that a human gets to look at
the mail, rather than it being automatically rejected.

It ought to allow us to reject more abuse, without significantly
increasing the false-positive rate.

If you really think that we're going to have a problem with moderators
blocking mails from real people who want to do constructive things
related to Debian, then we could always include some sort of appeals
mechanism for people that feel that they've had mails unfairly rejected.

Do you really expect such a mechanism to be needed?

Cheers, Phil.