Re: Bits from the DPL For December 2019

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 08:26:45AM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:

> I find that as the world has evolved, and as CoCs
> have become more important for treating people (and not just
> communications) with respect, the requirements for what we as a
> community need to do have changed.

Yes, the world has evolved. Respect and kindness are in short supply.

> I pushed for a Debian Code of Conduct, because I believed that it would
> help the community move forward. I organized a "Community BOF" at
> DebConf15 to discuss further ways in which the community could perhaps
> move forward even more. Although not much came from that, I do think
> it's never a good idea to rest on one's laurels in this area, and that
> we may end up doing more at some point in the future.

Indeed, more could be done.

Judgment and Compassion work in opposite directions.

The Code of Conduct stays mostly on the side of judgment (do/do not),
and the community responded in kind. Our interactions are heavy on
judgment and short of compassion.

If we had instead a document that employed grander language and
inspired a sense of exceptionalism, similar to the US Declaration of
Independence, people would forget their differences. Who wants to live
in a world without a free computing platform?

Without Debian, we might all fall prey to corporate surveillance or
government control. Access to the world's information would be in the
hands of a privileged few who can pay for a secure browser. Debian is
a gem, and all our contributors are special.

Let us write such a Declaration of Purpose. Debian unite!

Kind regards
Felix Lechner