Re: Accessibility of Ledger Reports

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 03:36:09PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>> Well, in general, people are trying to share these reports in email, so
>> I'm not quite sure how that would work.
>>
>> But yes, GUIs or web UIs do work fairly well for this.
>
> Can you check if Fava (a web UI for beancount) works well for you? There
> is a demo link on the project homepage:

I know you were originally asking about reports, rather than something
to look at the data with, but just in case that might help (which seems
to be what the beancounter suggestion implies), you might also want to
look at hledger (a pretty-much drop in replacement for ledger).

hledger has both a web interface, and a curses-style ui for exploring
ledger files.  They are in the hledger-web and hledger-ui packages
respectively.

I've not actually used either of these very much, so cannot give an
opinion about which is better.  I would guess that the hledger-ui thing
would suit you better, but that's could well be based on unfounded
assumptions.

BTW The web UI provokes one's browser to connect to the port that it
opens locally (which might be a bit of a surprise).

There are a few differences in what hledger supports:

  https://github.com/simonmichael/hledger/wiki/FAQ#features

but I don't find it difficult to keep my accounts compatible with both.

Cheers, Phil.