Accessibility of Ledger Reports

Hi.
An issue came up processing a debconf budget amendment.
Our community uses ledger a lot for dealing with financial issues.

Unfortunately, I find that its reports are not very accessible at least
by default.
The issue I'm most running into is that the reports use internal
indentation within a line.  That is, to draw an account tree ledger
indents the column containing the account name depending on its level in
the tree.

Certainly for the screen readers I use, and I think for most of the ones
in Debian, that's hard to approach.  I found that I can view the file in
Emacs with whitespace mode enabled, and that's my best bet so far.

i'm also told that there is a --flat option that displays the entire
account tree.  I suspect that's really annoying for others.

Indentation in the first column of a line is very easy to deal with for
any screen reader that a Python programmer would use.

I'm hoping we can brainstorm somethinfg that works reasonably well for
me and for the rest of the community, so I'm bringing up the issue here.