Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 02:36:41PM +0000, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> Gerardo Ballabio <gerardo.ballabio@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I had thought that there was room for a dissenting opinion, but
> > clearly there isn't.
>
> You can think what you like - the requirement is that you treat people
> in Debian with respect,

Such a requirement, if it does in fact exist, is certainly not equally
applied.

> which means (in this case) that if you use
> pronouns to refer to them, you endeavour to use their preferred
> pronouns.

Should we also endeavour to be respectful to those who hold policital
views, religious beliefs, or even general opinions with which we
disagree?  The trend I have observed within Debian seems to be more
toward disrespectful treatment rather than respectful treatment.

> The CoC is about behaviour.

If anything, "behaviour" seems to be worse now than it was before.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez