Re: Some thoughts about Diversity and the CoC

> particularly in the face of endless concerns about civility, and
> blatant tone policing.

What's blatant is how these two concepts are frequently being abused to
shut down any criticism of uncivil behavior or otherwise inadequate
conduct, especially by using such a loaded term as "policing".

It's possible to empathize with a person, and to publicly stand by this
person, and to continue doing so, while still pointing out that one of
the person's specific actions were not up to community standards.

I realize that the intention behind these concepts is to create a safe
and welcoming community, but I believe this ultimately achieves only the
opposite for it, by weakening and eroding its standards. It's "Be
respectful", not "Be respectful, unless [...]".

We're emotional beings, not robots, so I realize that upholding the
standards is not possible possible all the time. But when something
happens, and there is cause for empathy, then I believe that on the
whole, a community is better of with "acknowledge, and then forgive",
rather than "nothing wrong happened, so don't criticize".