Re: Community Team - where we want to go

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 10:26:39PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We've had a lot of conversations this year about where the
> Anti-Harassment (now *Community*) Team should be going: what we're
> trying to do, and the relationship we'd like to have with the rest of
> the project and the wider community.
>
> Within the team, we've brainstormed about this and come up with the
> following to describe our role and responsibilities. We'd like to
> discuss it now with the rest of the project. Feedback welcome please!
>
> Name: Community Team
> ====================
>
> Role
> ====
>
> The goal of the Community Team (CT) is to help Debian be a welcoming
> place, focusing on response to difficult or contentious
> communications, as well as other negative experiences and Code of
> Conduct violations. It aims to encourage and foster a respectful,
> productive, and inclusive atmosphere throughout the Debian community.
>
> The team itself has no direct powers to enforce any decision, and
> merely acts as an advisory body. It will aim to respond in a timely
> matter when consulted, and to do so in a consistent way. The (CT) is
> the team responsible for interpreting the Code of Conduct (CoC) when
> necessary.

Hello,

I have to object strongly to the last point.  As you have stated
above, the CT is a self-appointed group of DDs and insofar by
definition has no more powers within the project than any other
random group of DDs, so there is no way that the CT could be
responsible for and thereby have the power to decide over the
interpretation of the CoC in cases where such an interpretation
is contentious within the project.

> We break this down in more concrete terms:
>
> Responsibilities include
> ========================
>
>  * Interpreting the Code of Conduct;
>
>  * Responding in a timely manner to incidents reported by members of
>    the Debian community and those interacting with the Debian project;
>
>  * Contacting individual contributors about their behavior when it is
>    considered to be in violation of the Debian Code of Conduct;
>
>  * Providing support and guidance for event incident response teams;
>
>  * Offering advice and guidance for policies and implementation around
>    community standards and guidelines;
>
>  * Being available as a resource for those looking for content review
>    of communications or who have questions about how possible actions
>    may fit with the Code of Conduct;
>
>  * In extreme incidents or after repeated harmful behaviour or Code of
>    Conduct violations, writing reports for relevant teams (e.g. Planet
>    admins, listmasters, DAM), to summarise relevant incidents along
>    with analysis and suggested possible courses of action; and

I have to object to the term "responsibilities" again here.
"Having the responsibility" implies a power to do so in a way
that is different from the power of any other project member.
Members of the CT are of course free to perform any of the
actions listed above in the same way that any other project
member is free to perform them, but the CT is no more and no less
"responsible" for them than any other random DD, and if members
of the CT perform any of those actions they must not be given any
more or any less weight than the same action by any other DD.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Ich widerspreche hiermit ausdrücklich der Nutzung sowie der
Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der Werbung