Re: Community Team - where we want to go

    Enrico> On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 10:26:39PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
    Enrico> I join other respondents, with a risk of redundancy, with a
    Enrico> few notes due to the decision of not having delegated powers
    Enrico> and being an undelegated advisory group.

    >> The (CT) is the team responsible for interpreting the Code of
    >> Conduct (CoC) when necessary.

    Enrico> I feel strongly against this: "The team" hints at being the
    Enrico> only team, and "Responsible" hints at having power.

    Enrico> I believe strongly that anyone who is /the/ person/team
    Enrico> responsible for interpreting the Code of Conduct needs to
    Enrico> gain that responsibility from an official delegation, and
    Enrico> absent a delegation, I believe that the only person
    Enrico> ultimately responsible for interpreting the CoC when
    Enrico> necessary is the DPL, overridable by a GR.

    Enrico> However, I also believe that any member of the Debian
    Enrico> community is responsible for upholding the Code of Conduct,
    Enrico> and I'm fine with the idea that one or more people or groups
    Enrico> could make themselves available to help with CoC
    Enrico> interpretation or supporting people if things get heated.

I strongly support the above.

It's going to be a day or two before I get a chance to comment on the
team's proposal.

I think that interpreting the CoC is something that requires a
delegation.
I think that ultimately the project could use interpretation of the CoC
in some cases, and that eventually a delegated community team will be
something the project needs.
    >> Finally, the CT will also work in combination with event
    >> organisers to deploy incident response teams on the ground and
    >> ensure that the CoC is observed for Debian events.

    Enrico> In the same light as above, I suggest s/work/make itself
    Enrico> available/, as any other group could make themselves
    Enrico> available to event organisers to help with Debian or
    Enrico> event-specific CoC.

This is an area where I actually think the project needs a single
delegated entity to coordinate IRTs with events.
I agree with Enrico that being *the entity* is not something that an
individual group of developers can do.
But I think that there are significant advantages in having project-wide
consistency in how we approach IRTs and to do that, I think a delegation
would be necessary.