Re: Using Debian funds to support a gcc development task

On 9/30/19 4:53 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 1:14 AM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>
>> Having said that, I'm going to unsubscribe from this list now as I realize
>> that what we do in Debian Ports is still not considered useful many others,
>> so I think it's not possible to find an agreement.
>
> To be clear, I think the work that folks are doing on the unofficial
> Debian ports is valuable and important and that the m68k GCC task is a
> good idea. I only dislike using Debian funds to pay people for their
> time. I think that crowdfunding the m68k GCC task could work.

I think you misunderstood. This is not for paying myself or any other
person involved in Debian Ports. This is for collecting money to be
able to convince someone experienced in hacking on the gcc code so that
they can help us save the m68k backend in gcc.

For what is worth, Richard Biener from gcc upstream told me that an
experienced gcc developer would be able to perform the task within
one months. It's mainly a matter of using enough elbow grease but not
necessarily hard work, he says.

Since I can't expect a random gcc developer to sink one month of work
into working on a backend they are most likely not going to use them-
selves, I have started a campaign on BountySource so that I can pay
them for the work.

I'm not earning a single Cent from this myself.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz