Re: Using Debian funds to support a gcc development task

Hello,

On 30.09.19 06:20, Charles Plessy wrote:
Le Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 11:44:26AM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz a écrit :
In the future, gcc upstream expects all backends to be using MODE_CC for the
internal register representation as the old CC0 is supposed to be removed.

Since the lack of modernization would eventually mean that m68k support would
get removed from gcc, I'm currently running a campaign to prevent that. I
have already opened a tracker bug upstream in gcc's bugzilla [2] as well as
linked the issue to BountySource [3].
(...)
I thought of something around $1000 to $5000 depending on how much the project
is willing to spend.
Hi John and everybody,

given the reminders that Debian refrains from paying developers for
their time, I wonder if it would still be possible to make a small
contribution that expresses Debian's interest and sympathy to your goal,
with the hope that our name will help the crowdfunding effort.
Something on a scale that would allow us to answer positively to similar
requests without putting a significant burden on our finances... Maybe
$100 ?  This is the same amount as what Debian is willing to reimburse
for travel costs to bug-squashing parties, for instance.

I like the idea to find additional "enablers" of developments that
Debian would support. And such a $100 honorary bounty might have some
merits. If we collect a couple of them, then this would also help
defining the strategy of our development a bit.

Something else that Debian (or some institution next to Debian that we
invent for that purpose) could possibly come up with is a "go fund me"
for key technologies to be ported to off-mainstream platforms. Or for
key technologies that our distribution misses.

Best,
Steffen