Re: Standing behind GNOME Foundation against Rothschild Patent Imaging LLC?

Hi

El 28 de septiembre de 2019 23:04:03 CEST, Chris Lamb <lamby@debian.org> escribió:
>Dear -project,
>
>For those not yet aware, Rothschild Patent Imaging LLC has filed a
>lawsuit against the GNOME Foundation on the grounds that their
>"Shotwell" photo manager violates patent §9,936,086:
>
>https://www.gnome.org/news/2019/09/gnome-foundation-facing-lawsuit-from-rothschild-patent-imaging/
>
>If we can leave the legal merits of this specific case or of software
>patents in general for another time and venue, can I seek agreement
>that the Debian Project would publically stand with the GNOME
>Foundation against this attack on a cherished sister project of ours
>and, by extension, on free software in general?

Personal opinion: I agree.

>I plan to draft and publish a short "micronews" statement if there is
>consensus here.

Thanks for volunteering :-)

With my publicity hat on, I think it's better an article in bits.debian.org. It does not need to be long. The title and link to it would be published as micronews too.

Kind regards,

--
Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona