Re: State of Debian cloud accounts

Hi,

How are you?
I am wondering how contracts regarding cloud will influence future of debian project? Will live versions that do not depend on an internet connection continue to exist, or is there a drift to making everything cloud-based. I personally believe that it is important to maintain both, (i) maintaining option to be able to work in case one can not afford or perfers to be able to work alone for parts of project (ii) not relying on cloud entirely is keeping options open (and not letting monopoly or oligopoly rule but maybe people do not agree with these views or perspectives. (does it violate the spirit of free and open source) I am not trying to be controversial or raise tantrum, just wondering views.
but I am wondering what people's opinions are and why,

I am a phd student in pure mathematics with interest in programming and linux.

I have been working with linux for the past few years, and i have only tried versions of debian and have not installed a debian system yet but worked from live version or installed other linux systems (some offshoots of debian)

I would like to get involved in debian specifically education aspects, and I am working on small scripts/programs to download deb files for installing programs, as time allows. I am also considering in near future to get more involved with linux, but I have questions regarding either stability or safety or security of linux systems and their compatibility with a system that has windows installed on it. Some people around me seem concerned that linux systems may be not completely reliable as windows for laptops, but I do not really want to buy their argument, and I would like to settle the reasons for either slowdown or waiting of computers. Depending on answers I find, I might be interested in being more involved with debian project.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone regarding these questions, and if there are more appropriate lists or people for addressing these questions.

Semih Ozlem

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 4:03 PM Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> wrote:
Hi folks

A small update on the current state.

On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 11:12:53AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> For AWS this change could not be finished in time for the Buster
> release.  We have contracts and accounts ready.  However Amazon did not
> yet manage to associate this accounts with their organization.  This
> organization is used primarily for billing, so we could use the new
> accounts, but we would need to pay for it.

AWS managed to finish the account setup.  We can now properly use them
now and finally prepare the Buster stuff.

Kind regards,
Bastian

--
Totally illogical, there was no chance.
                -- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3