Re: Upstream metadata to help our users contribute back to projects we redistribute.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 3:34 PM Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer@jelmer.uk> wrote:

On 25 July 2019 15:17:13 GMT+01:00, Felipe Sateler <fsateler@debian.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 17:27:51 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>
>Hello Charles,
>

>> (posted on -project because of the context, but answers probably
>belong
>> to -devel, where I am not subscribed...)
>>
>> there is an intersting discussion going on about Git and the
>preferred
>> form for modification of the programs we redistribute.
>>
>> Indeed, as of today would be hard to say « just run “apt-get source
>> <packagename>” and voilà, you can hack and contribute back upstream
>».
>>
>> There has been now and in the past (for instance when discussing the
>> proposed format “3.0 (Git)” for dpkg) some important points raised
>> explaining the challenge of redistributing the upstream VCS instead
>of a
>> flat file archive.
>>
>> This is why some packges are shipping metadata indicating where to
>find
>> the upstream sources, send upstream bugs, or even where to dontate
>> money, in order to help our users contribute back to the developement
>of
>> the software that Debian is made of.
>
>Are there tools that are actively using this information?
>Unfortunately,
>the links you quote below do not provide much information about where
>this information is used (other than bibref table in UDD).
>
>On the other side of the coin, are there any tools that help generate
>this metadata? For example, github-hosted projects can have their Bug-
>Database, Bug-Submit, Changelog, Repository, Repository-Browse
>automatically derived.

lintian-brush (https://packages.debian.org/intuan-brush) can update debian/upstream/metadata from various kinds of upstream-bundled files like dist.ini, META.json, doap (used by GNOME) or setup.py.

Thanks, this tool looks very useful, and not only for upstream/metadata.

--

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler