Re: anti-tarball clause and GPL

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 10:28:19PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On the other hand, not allowing source distribution as a “flat
> tarball” sounds like an additional restriction, which would be
> incompatible with the GPL.  (Just like parts of glibc used to require
> distribution on tapes, only less inconvenient.)

I believe that "flat" tarball in Adam's question means tarball stripping
out VCS information, not tarball as a format.

Also, the clause doesn't disallow the distribution using tarball, but
only define what "source code == preferred form for making modification"
is.  So, "flat tarball" becomes object code license-wise.

Yao Wei