Re: GR proposal: mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser for all packages, using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout, and maybe also mandating hosted on Salsa

On 7/23/19 11:59 PM, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 07:31:11PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> 1- Mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser, meaning we do mandate using Git for
>> packaging.
>
> Good.  Especially if we can then drop quilt.
>
>> 2- Mandating using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout for Git, as this
>> seems to be the most popular layout, and that we need some kind of
>> consistency.
>
> Big fat enormous NO!  gbp is a workaround for the biggest evil in our
> packaging: quilt.  Watching pro-git-only talks on the Debconf, I got the
> impression that if we dropped the VCS-in-VCS approach, there'd be no need
> for most of that complexity.

How do you track what you've applied in Debian, and the status of your
patch upstream? With DEP3 patch headers in d/patches, we track this easily.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)