Re: GR proposal: mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser for all packages, using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout, and maybe also mandating hosted on Salsa

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 11:59:59PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 07:31:11PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > 1- Mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser, meaning we do mandate using Git for
> > packaging.
>
> Good.  Especially if we can then drop quilt.
>
> > 2- Mandating using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout for Git, as this
> > seems to be the most popular layout, and that we need some kind of
> > consistency.
>
> Big fat enormous NO!  gbp is a workaround for the biggest evil in our
> packaging: quilt.  Watching pro-git-only talks on the Debconf, I got the
> impression that if we dropped the VCS-in-VCS approach, there'd be no need
> for most of that complexity.
>
> The vast majority of upstreams already use git, adding 1980's-style patches
> on top of that is like pulling a non-broken car with a horse.
>
> And, a flat tarball like .orig is no longer a preferred form for
> modification.  Do you remember the brouchacha in 2011 when Red Hat released
> their kernel sources that way?
>
> I'd say we should drop .orig and _forbid_ gbp.
>
> > 3- Mandating using Salsa as a Git repository.
>
> Or perhaps we could have a service mirror official git repos for packages
> hosted elsewhere?

I second kilobyte's amendment. Except the part about dropping .orig,
somewhat sadly.

Put more seriously: #1 I'd agree with, #2 I think is impossible and for
#3 I really like the idea of mirroring them all, https://src.fedoraproject.org
is indeed really cool.

--
tschau,