Re: Results of the Antiharassment Team Survey

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 10:04:43PM +0200, Christian Kastner wrote:
> Answering the second question first: my interpretation of mediation in
> this context is a resolution process for the aforementioned conflicting
> interpretations, whereby one or more neutral roles (eg: DPL or A-H)
> attempt a resolution in cooperation with the involved parties.
>
> I see this form of mediation helping to draw that line because (a) it
> gives all parties an opportunity to have their side heard, (b) it
> demonstrates that those drawing the line have sufficiently engaged in
> understanding the problem, and (c) it sends a clear signal that we as a
> project aim to solve conflicts cooperatively.
>
> To me, (a) is an issue of fairness of the process. "The Project will
> draw a line but will hear you before drawing that line".
>
> It is my impression that some of the grievances, or the magnitude
> thereof, result not from actual actions against an individual, but
> rather from not being heard in the process.

+1

> First, there are numerous reasons why two parties might arrive at
> conflicting interpretations, ranging anywhere from misunderstandings to
> moral differences to incomplete information to simple matters of principle.
>
> Second, even if the root cause is correctly identified, there might be
> more than one solution to the problem, with varying costs and benefits
> to the parties but also to the project.
>
> To me, the no-mediation-approach is at best a crude heuristic that just
> targets a specific symptom, regardless of the actual cause.

The no-mediation approach is un-inclusive towards people who
involuntarily write things that sound more harsh than meant. This is a
rather common pattern in nerds that we tend to overreact and overstress
things. Not doing any mediation before making actions such as expelling
people from the project is a violation of the diversity statement.

The no-mediation approach will cause people who know that they sometimes
get over the top with things they write and say to shut up and not feel
welcome any more in the project.

Is that what we want?

Greetings
Marc