Re: Debian for blind people

Hi,

My feedbacks in your mail
Le 06/07/2019 à 01:02, Pierre Gaumond a écrit :
> Hello,
> What I expect from Debian is a screen review and voice synthesis that
> would be integrated to the system as strongly as VoiceOver is integrated
> to iOS on an iPhone or an iPad.

Debian can be installed via a speech synthtiser. Once installed, if you
install the desktop environment from the installer, the Orca screen
reader will start and work. It works fine on most applications and, in
particular, on the desktop (choose MATE as desktop). The voice is not
beautiful, you could install aditional ones from the non-free
repositories, mbrola. Others exist, paying, with a quit big quality, as
good as Voiceover one.

> Besides going on Internet with a browser (like Firefox or Google Chrome)

Chrome is not yet accessible. Firfox is.

> or sending e-Mails (like Thunderbird) or managing my folders and files,

Thunderbird is completely accessible. Just Buster will include a less
accessible release than Stretch. But things will improve soon

> I want to program in some languages such as C, C++, Objective-C or Swift
> if it would be possible.

You can use Emacs, so yes, it is possible. You also can use the
commandline, so yes, should be fine

> I like Vim and Emacs. I know about EmacSpeak. I could be interested to
> write or modify Elisp scripts.

Probably Emacs easier to be accessible via th spch-el package.

> I really don't like Windows editors because they introduce extra and
> alien characters in the text. I don't need character policy.

It does not exist with editors on Debian

> I need a good file management that would tell me as an example, the
> folder that contains the greatest number of files or the biggest files.

THe desktop includes one. For additional needs, you probably will prefer
the comandline power.

> I wrote one on Unix but they lost the source code.
> I would like to have available informations about each file: creation
> date, last modification, last access to determine if the file is useful.

Agaain, possible in commandline, but also probably in th filemanager itself.

> I would need two accounts, one as an administrator and one as a user.

That is the default configuration in Debian

> These are the most evident needs that I can figure out.

Welcome to Debian! :) If you don't have success installing, back to me
or debian-accessibility list. Not that one company provides full-Debian
installd computers out-of-the-box, accessible

Regards