Re: Cultural differences and how to handle them

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 04:07:40PM +0200, Ulrike Uhlig wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > On 02.07.19 22:21, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >> On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 08:14:40AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>
> > Every country has its own conventions, problems and solutions.
> > But these are often specific to one country, and not applicable
> > to other countries or global projects.
> > People should be expected to research movements that are relevant only
> > in a handful of countries with < 10% of the earths population for being
> > allow to discuss on Debian lists.
>
> > Let's look at some non-obvious but possibly relevant differences:
> >
> > People in the US are used to minority quotas in various places.
> >
> > In most European countries it would be considered unacceptable racism
> > if skin color would play any role in university admission.
> So surely, on paper, universities do not discriminate,

Some US universities do consider race in admission.
It is called "affirmative action".

White people need to be better than black people for university admission.
Asian people need to be better than white people for university admission.

And this consideration of race is done officially.

I have never heard about a German university officially stating that
they are giving preferred treatment in admission for people with Turkish
roots because they are underrepresented among students.

Officially asking people about their ancestry in university admission
would also remind people of terms like Ariernachweis and Halbjude,
which makes the holocaust a reason against doing that in Germany.

> Cheers,
> Ulrike

cu
Adrian