Re: Cultural differences and how to handle them

Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> writes:
> In this discussion here we have two pretty distinct groups of people:
>
> The first group has the opinion that Debian should honor various
> minorities, and that Debian in general should have also a political
> mission.
>
> The second group is unhappy with people being honored by Debian for
> non-technical reasons, and wants Debian in general to be a non-political
> technical project.
>
> Easy to miss, but obvious once you are aware of it:
> The people with English as native language are in the first group.
> The people with German as native language are in the second group.

Sorry, but can we stop this a bit?

Being german, I think that Debian should honor discriminated minorities,
and I also think that it is impossible to encapsulate the politics from
a technical project. And I am sure that I am not the only one. At least
my professional and personal environment goes into the same direction.

If you like, you can even derivate that from the german history.

People are not only formed by their national culture. They are as well
formed by their professional contacts, by their friends, by the way they
get information and so on.

The conflict that we have here is not an anglo-german (or other)
cultural one. It is one of the specific people involved in Debian, who
are only a very small, absolutely non-representative portion of the
population of any country.

Best regards

Ole