Re: Debian supports pridemonth?

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 08:56:03AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Hi.
> Responding only to one thing at this time, and apologies if it has
> already been covered.
>
> This was discussed by the debian publicity team who is delegated to do
> this sort of thing.  In particular, they are charged by the project and
> DPL to promote Debian consistent with its policies and their choices.
> Like most of our teams they have significant latitude.  In this
> instance, they are guided by the constitution which encourages delegates
> to respect project consensus/policies/positions.  So, they are guided by
> the GR approving the diversity statement.
>
> This action was discussed on their public list.

Hmm.  That's interesting.

The thread began with a message bearing the subject line "Small actions
and large impacts" on 2nd June.  The final message in the thread, dated
more than three weeks after the initial message and 19 days after the
most recent prior message, changed the subject to "Debian Diversity logo
in webpage, please update translations".  It included the following
text:

"We have changed the main website logo too (visible in every webpage
under www.debian.org), and published a micronews:";

That indicates that the change had already been made at that point.

It does not seem that anything was done with the intent to conceal the
action, nor do I mean to imply such.  However, the start of the thread
was practically invisible (especially for someone monitoring many
Debian-related mailing lists).  I would be surprised if more than a very
small handful people even knew such a change was in the works.

Perhaps there should be an effort to better highlight such highly
visible things before they take effect?

Regards,

-Roberto

--