Re: Realizing Good Ideas with Debian Money

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 07:49:25AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

> [moving a discussion from -devel to -project where it belongs]

>     Mo> Hi,
>     Mo> On 2019-05-29 08:38, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>     >> Use the $300,000 on our bank accounts?
>
> So, there were two $300k donations in the last year.
> One of these was earmarked for a DSA equipment upgrade.
> DSA has a couple of options to pursue, but it's possible they may
> actually spend $400k on an equipment refresh.
>
> $200k doesn't really go that far in terms of big infrastructure projects
> like bikeshed or similar.
>
> I'm looking for someone who would be willing to guide a discussion of
> the Money issues Martin brought up in his campaign.  I don't have time
> to guide that effor myself.  Real thought needs to be put into it; it
> will be at least as much work as the discussions I'm leading on
> packaging practices and git if done correctly.
>
> However it could be very valuable for the project.

The information required for an informed discussion on this topic
is missing.

What is really missing in Debian is an annual report from the
treasurer team covering all trusted organizations, listing the
accounts of all income and expenses as well as the reserves.

Some people are suggesting to spend 6 digit US$ amounts on whatever they
consider important, while other people are spending their precious
Debian time on getting mere 4 or 5 digit amounts of sponsorship for
a DebConf or MiniDebConf.

I don't see how these could both make sense at the same time.

Just from looking at the SPI part I would say that Debian has some
reserves that could be used if needed, but new substantial recurring
commitments would not be reasonable since the long-term situation
is that there are usually < US$ 100k per year in both regular income
and expenses (excluding Debconf earmarks).

Other trusted organizations might show a similar or a completely
different picture - it is impossible to start the budgetary
discussion you are asking for without the status quo of the
Debian finances as a basis.

> --Sam

cu
Adrian