Re: Inquiry regarding Debian's Main Archive

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 12:58:50AM -0800, npdflr wrote:
> I have gone through the link: (Exploring Cryptographic Software in
> Debian's Main Archive)  https://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain
>
> I would like to clarify what I have understood: one is not allowed to
> use Debian's main archive for commercial use (as it contains community
> source) if one is downloading Debian from a US server.
>
> In my case: I have downloaded a Debian iso cd file
> (debian-9.8.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso) from a Singapore server and I want
> to use Debian on my laptop which will be used for commercial purpose,
> am I allowed to do so?. (Please note I am just using Debian not
> distributing/selling any of the Debian iso file or packages.)

Hi,

(IANAL; THIS IS NOT A LEGAL ADVICE.)

The article you are referencing was to deal with the US law of exporting
cryptographic code.  The export control is less strict now, and we don't
have separated ISOs for US and non-US anymore since Debian 3.1 (sarge),
which was released in 2005.

  https://wiki.debian.org/non-US

Yao Wei