Re: enforcement first, ask questions later?

Dear Gavin.

Gavin Howard - 04.02.19, 17:28:
> I am not a contributor, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
>
> I was planning on becoming a contributor to Debian recently and joined
> the mailing list in preparation for doing so. And then I saw
> everything that was happening.
>
> It made me nervous that people could be accused and removed without
> any public process, opportunity to collect evidence, opportunity to
> face their accuser, presumption of innocence, and other basic human
> rights guaranteed, at least, by the US Constitution. (I don't know
[…]
> For myself, I do not have great social skills and cannot read subtle,
> between-the-lines, subtle messages, especially through the medium of
> email. I could see a future where, if I joined Debian, I might make an
> innocent mistake and not realize it until I was removed from the
> project. That does not sound fun.
>
> So, no thank you. And best of luck to everyone.

I get how you feel.

I maintain a package and well another one which I did not update in
quite a while… but what I read here does not really add to my
motivation.

However… no one so far told me to stop maintaining those two packages
and as I am neither a Debian Developer (DD) or a Debian Maintainer (DM)
in the sense of the project guidelines, I feel I have nothing to loose
here.

So maybe… if you like to contribute something, for now… you can have
someone else upload / sponsor it for you. Choosing that path no
membership of any kind is involved and there is not really all that much
too loose.

I bet for now I will focus to continue maintaining that package with a
good quality for as long as someone sponsors it for me. OTOH I postponed
my idea to become at least a DM for now, due to what I read here. I told
my sponsor and he understood.

Thanks,
--
Martin