Re: Censorship in Debian

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 07:20:41PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> On 1/9/19 5:39 PM, Josh Triplett wrote:

> > Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > There are times when you don't have to think about what you're saying
> > > before you say it; that situation is often called being "among friends",
> > > or "in a safe space", or "able to let your guard down".
> > If you have to have your "guard up" to avoid hurting people, you have a
> > more fundamental problem.

> > It really *isn't* that hard to just think about the effect of your words
> > on others *all the time*. As Russ said, that's a fundamental skill.

> > Debian is not a locker room.

> On the other hand, when did people get so thin skinned, and offended by
> everything?

> I came across this in a FreeBSD community discussion of similar issues: https://notablelife.com/our-generation-needs-to-stop-being-offended-by-everything-and-learn-how-to-take-a-joke/
> - a good read.

> One paragraph, that nails it: "The thing is, people are often offended by
> things that are so minimal compared to the actual problems in the world to
> which they turn a blind eye. You don’t tend to see many people being
> ‘offended’ by the fact that there are starving children in third world
> countries, or making rambling Facebook posts about how access to clean water
> offends their sensibilities. Yet the second a joke or an ad is slightly
> offside in their eyes, they lash out like they’ve been a victim of the
> greatest injustice known to humankind."

That's because the vast, vast majority of people have the residual decency
to not open their fat mouths and argue in public that people don't *deserve*
to have access to food and clean water, whereas there is a quite high number
of assholes who feel no shame at treating someone as less-than on the basis
of irrelevant intrinsic characteristics.

So, you know, take some personal responsibility for things you say that are
offensive, and everything'll be ok.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/