Re: Censorship in Debian

On 24/12/18 10:13, Marcin Kulisz wrote:
> On 2018-12-23 20:58:08, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
>>
>> On 12/21/18 10:02 AM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>>> Norbert seems to have stepped back in response:
>>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-tex-maint/2018/12/msg00019.html
>> Getting your DD rights being removed from DAM is probably not what you
>> would call a step back in your free will. He was forced to do so.
> I didn't know about that and I have to say it makes me feel disturbed, a big
> time, and yes I'm aware of the most of this story.
>
> I wrote a bit longer post but looks like I kind of self censored it and this is
> not making me happy either.

People asked privately why I'm fighting for Norbert.  I raised this for
everybody who feels this apprehension, it is not just about Norbert.

If anybody else in the community feels any apprehension about what they
can do or say, or communications they received from Debian leadership,
or if anybody feels they have something they can't discuss with the DPL
or AH team at the moment, I would volunteer to speak to you privately
about it.

Maybe Debian can follow a fine example from FSFEland and formally allow
the community to elect a representative, somebody who's mission is to
think of the developers/volunteers first?  My bulletproof vest is still
partly intact from my own efforts to do so in FSFE and I would gladly
put it under somebody else's Christmas tree tonight.  While we elect a
DPL, that role has many of the attributes of a manager/boss, not a
representative and whoever is in the role, their mindset is affected by
that.

Regards,

Daniel

--