Re: Do we need embargoes for GPL compliance issues?

* Jonathan Carter:

> Having said all of that, I don't know of any case where Debian has
> specifically named and shamed anyone regarding such a violation, but I
> also don't see a reason why Debian should explicitly try to keep those
> secret for no good reason.

The main advantage for Debian would be to retain licenses for GPLv3
software, despite the occasional accidental violation and the time
needed to clean up one.

However, the most likely source of accidental violations is the Linux
kernel (because it will increasingly end up in firmware blobs where
the upstream submitter claims they are non-free but redistributable).
Non-cooperative developers are unlikely to participate in the Common
Cure movement anyway, so the whole thing is perhaps moot.