Re: Let's Stop Getting Torn Apart by Disagreement: Concerns about the Technical Committee

Hi Diane,

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 11:48:05AM -0700, Diane Trout wrote:
> I only just subscribed and only have read some of the discussion so
> this may be a bit off topic or already discussed.

> But I was wondering if the project has thought about explicitly
> encouraging mentoring in techniques for handling interpersonal conflict
> and helping members develop interpersonal skills?

> I know there's active research into managing team conflict, and I bet
> there are some Debian members who have been more effective at helping
> other team members that we might be able to learn from.

> I know we have methods to share technical skills via policies and best
> practices, but how do we identify and share useful social techniques?

> For instance I think active listening is a useful technique when trying
> to develop a consensus about a topic.

> (e.g. http://ggia.berkeley.edu/practice/active_listening#data-tab-how )

> But I don't know how many others know about it and there would need to
> be some adjustment for a distributed team like Debian.

Better skills for handling interpersonal conflict can never be a bad thing.
However, the Technical Committee exists as a decision-making body of last
resort, when consensus is not possible (because two parties have
incompatible goals, or because discussion is not converging on agreement
fast enough to matter).

Do you believe that Debian should not have such a decision-making body of
last resort?