Re: Automatic downloading of non-free software by stuff in main

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 11:05:38AM -0800, Diane Trout wrote:
> Tracker should have a way to avoid indexing files that have been
> downloaded at least from untrusted domains, and possibly all downloaded
> files.
>
> But yes, we should have a way of indicating "trusted" domains, so users
> get fewer annoying popups.
>
> Bonus points if we could also have forbidden domains. Then your work VM
>  could trust your work servers, and your personal VM should know it
> should refuse them. (At least that's a mistake I feel I'm likely to
> make)
Hehe.
I don't know how does it work in reality but the Windows way to mark
downloaded files is actually to put a zone number into the attribute, and
zones are that thing that theoretically distinguishes between local sites,
internet sites, trusted sites etc.:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537183.aspx
I'm not sure if anything really uses that.

--
WBR, wRAR