Re: Automatic downloading of non-free software by stuff in main

(Dropping the crossposts.  The stuff I want to reply to is probably
material for -project.)

Adam Borowski writes ("Re: Automatic downloading of non-free software by stuff in main"):
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 01:52:18PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > I would like to establish a way to prevent this.  (There are even
> > whole Debian derivatives who have as one of their primary goals,
> > preventing this.
>
> No, those derivatives are damage.  While their hearts are in the right
> place, they cause data loss and security holes by at least making people on
> Intel and AMD machines use known-buggy microcode.

I think it's very rude to call something damage just because you
disagree with someone's political stance with respect to the software
they un on their own computer.

Also, if you care so much about this you should probably worry about
Debian's current default approach to microcode.

> The biggest reason for me

Debian ought to be a good upstream for everyone, not just "me"
(whoever me is).

Ian.