Re: producing, distributing, storing Debian t-shirts

On 04/30/2017 10:05 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> On 30/04/17 21:54, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

>>> Let me put it another way: when you are trying to meet that demand from
>>> people, do you make that effort because you want to raise money or
>>> because of brand, community, etc?
>>
>> I do it as a service to our community.
>>
>> Debian doesn't need to sell merchandise to raise money, the project gets
>> more in donations than it spends.
>
> That's exactly what I was getting at with that question, I suspect most
> people will agree any merchandising is not for fundraising.

Not for Debian. For projects that don't get as many donations it can be
a good way to raise money. Buying an t-shirt is a nice way to contribute
financially to a project and get something tangible in return.

> Taking that point further, if the goal is community, do people feel that
> merchandizing should break even or that it can actually be subsidized?
> I've heard different opinions on that from different people already.

I don't think people should subsidize merchandise unless they want to
(e.g. have plenty of disposable income to burn). In practice the price
charged for merchandise tends to be the cost price rounded up to avoid
small change. This little profit is then donated to the project. Making
a profit should not be the goal of Debian merchandise in my opinion.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1