Re: producing, distributing, storing Debian t-shirts

On 04/30/2017 01:53 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> - how do people view the distribution of merchandise, is the primary
> goal fundraising or is it about brand exposure?

There are more reasons than these two.

For the t-shirts that I had made and sold at the T-DOSE & FOSDEM
conferences the primary motivation was user demand. Especially at T-DOSE
I got several questions if we had T-shirts and had to tell them no, this
resulted in having shirts made the next year.

There is also a lot of demand for laptop stickers, which I haven't had
made yet, but am considering.

> - would it be reasonable for 1% - 2% of Debian's reserves to be tied up
> in slow moving inventory items like t-shirts that take up to a year to
> fully turnover?  As the reserves are mostly kept in cash Debian probably
> loses at least that much to inflation each year anyway.

This is tricky, since Debian is non-profit and selling merch can be
considered a for-profit activity.

Having Debian funds available for merchandise will lower the barrier for
Debian people to to have it made since they don't have to invest their
own money.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--