Re: producing, distributing, storing Debian t-shirts

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 02:18:11PM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 04/30/2017 01:53 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> > - would it be reasonable for 1% - 2% of Debian's reserves to be tied up
> > in slow moving inventory items like t-shirts that take up to a year to
> > fully turnover?  As the reserves are mostly kept in cash Debian probably
> > loses at least that much to inflation each year anyway.
>
> This is tricky, since Debian is non-profit and selling merch can be
> considered a for-profit activity.
>
> Having Debian funds available for merchandise will lower the barrier for
> Debian people to to have it made since they don't have to invest their
> own money.

Debian should avoid being in the hard good business.

If we want to make it easy for people to obtain Debian-branded /
Debian-benefiting products, we could go with a print-on-demand service such as
https://scalablepress.com/ or https://printaura.com/, using a storefront we put
ourselves, use theirs, or use a 3rd party such as https://www.etsy.com.

If this is to be done as 'Debian', then we will need SPI's involvement.

--
Luca Filipozzi
http://www.crowdrise.com/SupportDebian