Re: Learning from FreeBSD's mistakes

On Mon, 06 Feb 2017, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Paul Wise writes ("Re: Learning from FreeBSD's mistakes"):
> > https://wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment
>
> I'm aware of this team.
>
> But they do not have any authority to take steps against harassers.

They don't have the authority to take steps unilaterally, but I'm not
aware of a case where harassment has occurred and the appropriate team
has not taken action upon recommendation by the antiharassment team.

Indeed, in at least the case of lists, IRC, and the BTS, action tends to
get taken well before the antiharassment team is contacted and/or
involved.

> What this means is that the antiharassment team cannot even issue a
> proper warning against a harasser. (A proper warning being one where
> consequences clearly follow if the warning is not heeded.)

I think the antiharassment team should involve the appropriate team
(organizer, owner@, listmaster@, DAM, etc.) in the drafting of a warning
so that the appropriate consequences can be taken.

The specific teams of a medium are the appropriate teams because they
have the technical experience and community involvement necessary to
enact consequences. [For example, the organizers of an event will know
the appropriate means of excluding someone from an event, or even if
that is possible.[1]]

Personally, I am very happy to work with the members of the
antiharassment team to make sure that any warning that needs to be
issued has appropriate consequences for any of the parts of Debian whose
governance I participate in.

1: For example, some venues may not allow prior restraint or have other
specific legal requirements which must be met to legally exclude
someone.
--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

Miracles had become relative common-places since the advent of
entheogens; it now took very unusual circumstances to attract public
attention to sightings of supernatural entities. The latest miracle
had raised the ante on the supernatural: the Virgin Mary had
manifested herself to two children, a dog, and a Public Telepresence
Point.
 -- Bruce Sterling, _Holy Fire_ p228