Re: Learning from FreeBSD's mistakes

Paul Wise writes ("Re: Learning from FreeBSD's mistakes"):
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 7:18 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > In Debian there is no single team responsible for responding to
> > harassment problems
>
> There is a team for that:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment

I'm aware of this team.

But they do not have any authority to take steps against harassers.

AIUI they are not able to ban anyone from our IRC channels or from the
BTS or our mailing lists; they are not able to revoke DM or DD status;
they are not able to revoke maintainer status; and they have no
authority to exclude anyone from a Debian-related event.

Instead, those decisions are taken by, respectively: IRC channel
operators; BTS and list admins; DAM; sponsors and/or the TC; and the
organisers of each specific event.

What this means is that the antiharassment team cannot even issue a
proper warning against a harasser.  (A proper warning being one where
consequences clearly follow if the warning is not heeded.)

Ian.