Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Holger Levsen writes ("Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers"):
>> On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 03:42:58PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> >  DRAFT GENERAL RESOLUTION STARTS
>> >
>> >  OPTION A
>>
>> = "keep the status quo"
>
> AIUI, no.
>
> Empirically, practice by the TC is to almost always uphold the
> maintainer, and never to depose them.
>
> At least one TC member has told me that if this GR text passed, they
> would resign from the TC, because it would amount to a declaration of
> lack of confidence in the TC.

For the avoidance of doubt, that was me, here:

  https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2016/12/msg00012.html

The point being that if the project decided not only to go to the effort
of having a vote, but to actually vote in favour of this NOOP, it would
very strongly imply that the TC had lost the trust of the project.  (You
don't send a duplicate copy of someone's contract of employment, with
some added micro-management clauses, to someone that's doing a good job).

We cannot perform our function without the project's trust, so of course
I'd resign if that happened -- not that I consider that likely, but then
again this is 2016 ... anything might happen. ;-)

Cheers, Phil.