Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud writes ("Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers"):
> If one feels the source package isn't kept up-to-date enough, she
> can "just" file an ITP for a new source package name, pointing to
> hir attempts at convincing the existing maintainers. As ITPs are
> CC'ed to -devel, it becomes a matter of cultural shift in how we
> (and FTP Master, Release Team, etc) accept parallel versions in the
> archive (same software in different source & binary package names).

I like this idea.  Thinking "aloud":

There is problem with security support burden.  Perhaps the security
team could desupport all but one "version" - but then isn't the
security team in the business of judging somehow ?  I'm not sure if
they want to do that.

This wouldn't work for all packages, and it wouldn't work for
situations where (for example) the maintainers of a large subsystem
decided to make a controversial change across many packages.

But it would be a useful tool to have in our toolbox.

Ian.