Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers

Stefano Zacchiroli writes ("Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers"):
> So my question here is: why would someone who has learned to work
> amicably *within* the boundaries of several teams, will behave any
> different *across* those boundaries, when contributing to packages that
> belong to other teams? I think the behavior will be the same. So, if we
> go down this path, I'm not sure why we should stop at teams, instead of
> just having the de facto equivalent of "Maintainer: Debian" for all
> packages.

There is a big difference between a small(ish) team where you can
build and then rely on personal relationships, and the whole of
Debian, where that is much more difficult.

Also there are practical problems.  Different people have different
ideas about source code layout, preferred build system, vcs workflow,
and so on.  These questions don't have unambiguously right answers and
are largely matters of taste.  On the other hand they are very much in
your face when doing practical work.  Without the benefit of a clear
authority who can make these decisions, we would risk spending too
much time debating them.  (I think that we have too much difference in
workflows etc., but I don't think we want to try to force everyone
into a single way of doing things.)

Ian.