Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers

Ian Jackson writes ("Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers"):
> I still don't understand why the TC is so crushingly slow to conter
> maintainer power in Debian.  As I say in my other emails, a result of
> the TC's inaction, maintainer power in Debian is nearly unassailable.

Didier, and Phil, now you're in this conversation: can you explain
this to me ?

I have a number of theories.  Mayber TC members are reluctant to make
_any_ decision for fear of making a mistake.  Maybe TC members are
reluctant to act without consensus.  Maybe TC members are reluctant to
upset maintainers.  Maybe TC members are uncomfortable, as technical
people, exercising hard power, and prefer to persuade.  Maybe
something else, which I don't understand.

If I understood _why_ TC members (other than me) behaved this way, it
might be possible to frame a GR where the whole project could indicate
whether they think this is right or wrong.

If I put forward such a GR and lose it, at least I'll know where I
stand.  There is no point me trying to push this years-long campaign
to weaken Debian maintainership (originally, by getting the TC to use
its power, but that doesn't seem to be getting much more likely) if
the rest of the project thinks that it is just fine that our
maintainers are almost completely unaccountable.

Ian.