Re: Gobby notes from diversity/inclusion BOF/workshop, Cambridge

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 02:23:35PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Robust discussion is important but the time to stop is *before*, not after,
> it's become personal. Is it possible to have a 'personality moderator' role in
> Debian which could be used to help calm down argument?

"personal" by the standards of which culture?

As one example, polite/rude are partially the other way round in Germany
and the UK, just like yes/no often have a swapped meaning in the UK.

Worth reading:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37799805

A quote from that article:
"In Germany ... not saying what you mean is not forgiven.
 It's seen as dishonest, confused and ineffective."

I am German.
If you say "yes" when you mean "no", depending on the circumstances this
is something I might consider a personal insult - and after that I might
permanently consider you a dishonest person that cannot be trusted.

I am pretty sure there are also lots of things I say or do that are
completely normal and not rude in my culture, but might come across
as rude to people in the UK or elsewhere.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed