Re: Gobby notes from diversity/inclusion BOF/workshop, Cambridge

Sean Whitton writes ("Re: Gobby notes from diversity/inclusion BOF/workshop, Cambridge"):
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 02:23:35PM +0000, a gobby session contained:
> > We are not doing well at attracting younger developers into the community.
> > It can be very difficult to get younger people to attend because of the
> > tendancy for younger people to be very self-conscious.
>
> Did you mean that it is hard to get younger people to attend IRL events,
> like the minidebconf at which this discussion was held?  Or are you
> saying that the self-consciousness that is common among younger people
> is repelling them from Debian more generally?

The gobby session was a collaborative effort.  Please don't think that
I wrote it all!  I wrote very little of it.  (And some of it is even
internally contradictory.)  I don't remember which contributor made
the point you quote above IRL, or or who wrote the corresponding text.

> If you meant the latter, I think that it is only places like the
> debian-devel ML and IRC channel where it's an issue.  Places like the
> debian-mentors ML and IRC channel have an atmosphere in which it is much
> more comfortable to be wrong about something.  I spent many months
> subscribed to only debian-mentors and some team mailing lists before
> feeling the need to subscribe to debian-devel too.

Thanks for this useful insight.  Can you tell us more about what
specific things people say or don't say that (on d-devel or d-mentors,
say) that make that easier ?

Some examples (please file the names off if you  are criticising)
would be nice.

I suspect the answers may be obvious but I would like to hear your
opinion.

Thanks,
Ian.