Re: Gobby notes from diversity/inclusion BOF/workshop, Cambridge

Hello,

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 02:23:35PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> We are not doing well at attracting younger developers into the community.
> It can be very difficult to get younger people to attend because of the
> tendancy for younger people to be very self-conscious.

Did you mean that it is hard to get younger people to attend IRL events,
like the minidebconf at which this discussion was held?  Or are you
saying that the self-consciousness that is common among younger people
is repelling them from Debian more generally?

If you meant the latter, I think that it is only places like the
debian-devel ML and IRC channel where it's an issue.  Places like the
debian-mentors ML and IRC channel have an atmosphere in which it is much
more comfortable to be wrong about something.  I spent many months
subscribed to only debian-mentors and some team mailing lists before
feeling the need to subscribe to debian-devel too.

--
Sean Whitton