Re: Publicly-readable list for only DDs and DMs to post to

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 01:47:19PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> We also need to understand why people use -private when perhaps they
> ought not.  One reason is that -private has a better signal to noise
> ratio than -devel or -project, and therefore people pay more attention
> to it.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but I'm afraid I have to say that I
object to the suggestion of creating a members-only mailing list. It
creates another barrier to participation in Debian at a time when we
should be tearing them down.

The solution to low signal to noise ratios on our "big" lists (-devel,
-project, -vote) can't be creating more and more lists. We should
improve the ratio instead by using working techniques. Let's not
forget that it isn't always non-members who bring down the ratio.

Years ago, Ubuntu split their development mailing list into an open
list and one where posting was allowed for Ubuntu members only. I
don't know if that's still the case, but in about 2007-2009 it didn't
seem to me that it worked very well.

--
Schrödinger's backup hypothesis: the condition of any backup is
undefined until a restore is attempted. -- andrewsh