Re: Debian slogan / tag line / emphasizing freedom

Hi,

On 06/07/2016 12:22 PM, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 11:20:53AM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Debian has been using the slogan / tag line "The Universal Operating
>> System" for as long as I can remember.
>>
>> It is a good choice and it represents the aims of many contributors, but
>> is it the optimal choice today?
>
> Make Debian Great Again.
> </troll>

I know you were joking but I didn't find it comfortable. Is Debian not
Great anymore?

Did you (and everyone else) try to sit for a moment and think about
leaving Debian for alternative. I surely tried to leave my comfort zones
and asked myself such question.

Trust me (or even better, don't and explore) - there isn't better place
on this small rock called planet Earth. Something that is community
driven for more than two decades is a feature of itself. What this
community did is a thing that can easily define future of society and
its benefits.

Even with all our problems we have (but understand that we are doing
technical and nowdays even socially sensitive work while collaborating
with hundreds and thousands of people from different social and cultural
backgrounds) we are still the most pure and natural evolving society.
Yes, Debian is a society rather than only an anarcho-doocratic hacker
collective.

We became more welcoming for everyone and while that maybe (I am not
saying it did at all) slowed a bit technical development - the future
impact it will have is this:

We will grow more than we could imagine, we adapted to natural way and
our development will start to grow more and more and Debian will (like
it or not) change but I am not afraid of change as we will uphold our
Social Contract and our guidelines. In other words - we will uphold FREEDOM.

My 2c on this.

Cheers,

zlatan