Re: third-party packages adding apt sources

On 05/19/2016 06:18 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

More and more frequently I'm encountering systems where third-party
repositories have been added into /etc/apt/sources.list or
/etc/apt/sources.list.d, usually put there by some .deb package that a
user installed from some third party site.

Hey, This is a good thing™! I'm glad some upstreams care enough for Debian that they build deb packages of their releases and I'm even more delighted they are doing it properly by serving them in an apt repository.

This doesn't mean there is no benefit in discussing problematic areas or potential improvements in providing them also in Debian repository, but please don't pressure the poor upstreams too much making them feel like they are doing a disservice by providing a deb package to their users comfort.

 From a technical perspective, can we do more to prevent users being
surprised by packages putting new entries in /etc/apt/sources.list.d?

Please no. The system is working as intended. I don't think anybody is surprised after installing a 3rd party deb package and seeing it adds its apt repository to the system, actually they would be pleased to know that they won't have to manually update it later. And anybody who is uncomfortable with it would either disable it or not install the deb in the first place.

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
$24.95 ONETIME Lifetime accounts with Privacy Features! 15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas! Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!