Re: Debian 64bit information on website

Hi Marc,

On 05/03/16 12:49, error.hotmail@brushdesign.com wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> A long time Debian user I still have friends asking me where to find a 64bit distro to run on INTEL processors. When pointing out that the AMD64 distro is the way to go I always got questions why it is named AMD64 vs. i386.
I agree. Had tried it on an IT-savvy close relative.
> Users normally do associate Intel and AMD to be two different sets.
>
> Could this information on the website be made available more prominently? Directly on the download locations of the "how to get Debian" instead of the wiki or the FAQ?
I tend to agree that what may people let associate "Debian" with "for
geeks" or "difficult" may in parts be outside the distribution.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
has fewer platforms to distinguish, nonetheless, one should possibly
learn from them.
> It would be interesting to have a look at todays downloads, I suspect that the 32 bit versions are still more prominent.
No, not really. You can see some stats on
http://popcon.debian.org/
which finds amd64 to now have more installations than i386 ever had.

To me, the best way to install Debian is anyway to do it together with a
friend who had done it before.

Cheers,

Steffen