Re: Re: Would you agree - Debian is for the tech savvy

[Yaroslav Halchenko]
>> And, I am tech-savvy :-)
>
> Why wasn't it enough to run these two commands?
> apt-get install xorg
> apt-get install fluxbox
>
> The instructions on the wiki metion only this:
> https://wiki.debian.org/FluxBox#Installation

grrrrrrr....

Well, first off, I had to figure out the best display manager. Then, install Fluxbox and you got some ugly styling! Then, I had to figure out how to config all the gtk stuff and fonts, etc. Then, of course, no sound. And how about auto mounting external drives, etc, etc! Or even just artwork for grub and lightdm.

Now I can install the whole thing in about 10 minutes, but it was quite a chore to do it the first time...coming from a system like Crunchbang which was configured with style and grace, I realized how much work when into that.

On the other hand, Fluxbox really is just a windows manager and it needs a ton of helper packages...nothing like Gnome or KDE.