Free Software

I really like Debian. I reckon it is the best distro I've ever used, for
several reasons.
I know Debian is by default 100% free software. The kernel is deblobbed
and its default main repository contains only free software.

I understand Debian got completely libre by the version 6. Debian 5 and
all the former versions used a vanilla linux (non deblobbed) kernel.

My question is: Has the Debian's main repository always been made of
only free software? Has it contained only free software since the first
Debian version?

If a non-free package accidentally slipped into the main repository,
this would be regarded as a bug. Wouldn't it?
I'd like to know (I searched on the website for this info but couldn't
manage to find it), since the very beginnings of Debian, how many such
bugs have been filed?

I know Debian's policy about the free software guidelines is very strict
and you guys do a very good job, but I guess, maybe a few times, by
mistake, some proprietary code did wind up in the main repo..

Thanks. Have a nice day!