Re: Project Question

Hi Florent,

Quoting Florent Broise (2015-04-05 15:45:25)
> My name is Broise Florent, I've got a project to develop a concept of
> a media center device for high fidelity audio ernthusiast.
>
> I want to know if it's possible to develop this project on a Debian
> base, and so to know if I can (and will be legal regards to your
> oragnisation) to sell my concept device to customers.
>
> Beside, I will maybe depose a patent on this project in France, if the
> concept gain more demands.
> The project itself is a custom High-end HTPC machine made by my own,
> with my future software eventually supported by Linux Debian included.

Yes, the freedoms Debian abide to include the freedom to charge money,
and the freedom to create a derivative (in case your additions are not
free).

I dearly recommend you to join the Debian Multimedia team¹ and
collaborate directly in that team to ensure that most parts of your
project is in Debian - for the benefit both of other Debian users
(gaining the optimizations from your careful professional needs) and
your project (having Debian essentially maintain parts of your product).

I hope that you will then - now or later - find that _all_ parts of your
project fits within Debian, making your product a so-called Debian Pure
Blend².

If I understand you correctly that your aim is in fact a Debian Blend
(and possibly a Pure one at that), I personally would love to help
streamline the process of "blending" by use of Boxer³ - either in close
collaborate with you or (if you prefer to work alone) parallel to you by
monitoring the public parts of your project.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

¹ https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia

² https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends#PureBlend